- Playing space divided into thirds.
- Goalkeeper at each end.
- 5v5 outfield with 1v1 in end zones and 3v3 in middle zone.
- Both teams look to progress possession into the final third.
- When pass played into forward, 3rd man runner can move into final third to receive from the forward.
- 3rd man runner can be either of the remaining midfielders who didn’t make the initial pass.
- Anticipating forward pass and preparing to arrive at the right time to receive as the 3rd man. Initial passer should focus on facilitating receiver by passing to the foot closest to the 3rd man. Forward should look to position himself to create space for the 3rd man to arrive.
- Midfielders out of possession can look to press and prevent passes through to the final third. Last defender must try to react to 3rd man run and block the shot while preventing a return pass to his initial marker.